Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Historic Days

It's been a crazy 24 hours in gayby land.  There are many reasons not to be excited: North Carolina, DOMA, marriage being a generally crappy way to distribute rights, but I'm still excited.  I'll say it: I like Obama.  I don't love Obama, but I do think he is a good man and a smart person with integrity, and that's why I'm glad he is telling the truth about his beliefs.  Badger and I often say that Obama needs to be a little less JFK and a little more LBJ, which inevitably leads to speculation about whether Hillary would have been a tougher, more effective president, but today I'm happy and I am just going to enjoy that happiness.  

I'm going to try to turn my anger over North Carolina and my happiness about Obama's comments into some actual action on my part.  Maryland will have a referendum on gay marriage in November that will decide whether the gay marriage law passed by the legislature actually goes into effect.  I just dread the phone calls and door knocking, which are always what activist groups need people to do.  Hopefully LB will be talking by the time, and she can do the talking points while I huddle in the background.

Okay Mr. President, time to put on our shoes and get to work.


Just don't forget that I'm still pissed about DOMA.


No comments:

Post a Comment