Sunday, May 22, 2016

2nd Rate



Rhode Island has low self-esteem, which means Rhode Islanders love articles about how great Rhode Island is and how cool Providence is.  I just read one, and a columnist from the Boston Globe opened with a story about being offered cocaine by a friendly college student in a Providence bar.  Must we always be the local color-or as my friend used to say in college "my life is not performance art."

There are way worse places to live, but sometimes the living gets you down.  A lovely stroll down historic Benefit Street on my way home from work has me clambering over the sidewalk buckled by tree roots, and don't even think about trying that will a stroller.  Our teensy splash pad will only be open in July and August from 12-5 Monday through Saturday, if the city can scrap up the money.  Other places seem like the splash pads run with milk and honey.

But I suppose LB doesn't care.  Her soon to be school feels big to her even if if it feels claustrophobic to me, she gets to go to cool rock n roll birthday parties, pick out Skittles at the corner store, climb the tree in the park, dance to a hipster marching band in the middle of the street, roll slow balls down the candlepin bowling alley and watch the pinsetter handset the pins.

Like Amanda, I don't know where I'm going with this blog.  I miss blogging being a thing, not for the readers, but for the call and response.  But I do like having a place to organize my thoughts.  I just need a scheme to make other people blog again.

14 comments:

  1. I miss blogging and reading blogs. I also miss coherent thoughts. LGBT blogging day is coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, I am right there with you and the blogging. I am trying so hard to hold on. Seriously. I know I will miss it horribly.

    Rock and roll parties?!?! Listen, shitty splash pad or not, THAT is something to revel in. We do not have cool people here like that...if I have to go to one more run of the mill cartoon character themed party, I may scream ;)

    Also, I have been trying to figure out a way to revive blogland for about a year. To the point of annoying bloggers to JUST COME BACK!!!! Life moves on and I suppose so do bloggers :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit, and it's blogging for LGBT families day today! It's too bad that group blogs take so much work and are prone to withering, because in theory that would be great-one blog where we could all talk back and forth.

    ReplyDelete