Monday, June 4, 2012

Ladybug Eye Update

LB's sticker says "I got my eyes checked!" Not to worry, no motivation killing empty superlatives there.


Mild astigmatism, may self-correct.  No need for action at this time.  Same time next year.

Note: do not google "eye speculum," instead, simply imagine that scene from A Clockwork Orange cast entirely with premature babies.  Now you know what eye exams are like in the NICU.  The eye exam for ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity) was the worst thing I saw done to LB in the NICU (for other things they sent me out of the room).  And by saw, I mean I huddled in the opposite corner of the room trying not to look as LB screamed bloody murder.  This time last year, LB was cleared of ROP, so now they are just waiting to see if she develops generally crappy eyesight, either related to prematurity or genetics.

My big healthy girl rewarded me with 21 pounds of raging, thrashing, screaming love this morning before Badger took her to her eye appointment and then again on our walk home.  I'm trying to remember that feistiness will serve her well in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment