Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's Hard to be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World


After LB came home from the NICU, we spent the rest of the winter in quarantine-limited visitors and only leaving the house for essentials (LB only went to the doctor's office).  One of the things we did to fill the time was have record dance parties.  I guess you could have an Ipod dance party, but the choices might be overwhelming.  The nice thing about the record dance party is that we only have one eclectic crate of records.  Cobbling together a decent mix of music becomes part of the fun.  Sunday morning we did a mix of Waylon, Dolly, and Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Perhaps we should be trying to raise LB with some modicum of meditative silence, but honestly I would find it painful.  I was raised with no TV and lots of nature, with a silent Friends meeting on Sundays, and now I love noise.  I have a serious NPR addiction.  I love television-more than anyone I know who was allowed to watch television as a kid.  We aren't strict about keeping LB from the TV, and she has shown no real interest, but I do think less is probably more when it comes to kids and TV.  So, instead of turning on the TV, I pick out a record.  And Ladybug, you could do worse than Dolly Parton as a role model.  She is a smart, talented women with a generous heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment