Sunday, June 24, 2012

First Tomato Pie of the Season

I'm not saying it's health food, but it is so good.  Tomato pie is really easy.  Most recipes call for bisquick, but I make my own biscuit for the crust.  I usually use this Alton Brown recipe for the biscuit (although I reduce the salt to a scant 1/2 teaspoon). Pat the biscuit dough into a pie pan.  In another bowl mix a cup of shredded cheddar and a cup of mayonnaise and put aside.  Thinly slice a little bit of onion or some scallions, as well as a couple tomatoes.  Put half the cheese mixture on the biscuit, followed by the onion and tomato, and then the rest of the cheese.  Sprinkle with black pepper.  Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes (it can go a little longer if it's not looking too brown).

I'm sure you could do this with different vegetables and cheeses, maybe some sliced summer squash, and you could use goat cheese or brie or whatever (although in that case probably leave out the mayo).  Some people add chopped basil, but to me basil it just out of character with the dish (at least in it's tomato and cheddar form).  Some chopped parsley or even a little thyme could work, but not basil.

Tomato pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment