Thursday, August 22, 2013

Report from the Annals of Stubborn and Manipulative Children

LB's speech therapist C goes to visit her a daycare once a week, even though the hunch at this point is no speech issues, just some mix of sensory/processing/social stuff that sounds like total bullshit until it's your kid.  I like C a lot, she's calm and seems eminently sensible.  Today she called after her visit with LB to tell me that she had attempted to do some more formal testing with LB, and LB had refused any part of it, even with the best and most creative efforts of C and the daycare staff. And then she asked me if LB has trouble drinking from a sippy cup!  Which really, if my almost three year old had trouble drinking from a sippy, I would probably mention it to her speech therapist.  But no, she has absolutely no issues, at home that is.  Apparently at school she feigns an inability to drink to the degree that they have her wear a bib!  And, of course, give her lots of attention.  C astute observation was that maybe LB likes getting attention for being a baby.  At her beloved old daycare, LB was always "Baby LB," and everyone fawned over her.  Add to that the fact that she is tiny (and cute), and she's now the oldest in her class by a ridiculous number of months, and I think we have a well-developed get-attention-by-acting-like-a-baby strategy going on.

So next week, another crack at the speech testing at our house, and maybe we can figure out if she is processing really slow, or she's amazingly stubborn, or something in between.

4 comments:

  1. We have a baby here too! Our 3 yr old suddenly wants to be fed like a baby and carried like a baby. Of course, she says she's "too little" to use the potty and needs diapers. Wonderful. She has been fawned over quite a bit as well and now that we're putting pressure on to be independent in places she is absolutely resisting. I hope LB blasts past this so that you can get down to the nitty gritty of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the morning monologue: "No, mama feed me! Mama feed me cheerios from the big bowl. Mama feed me cheerios and milk with a spoon." Dude, if you can say all that, you can most definitely do it yourself. I also get a lot of "Mama carry me!" and once again, I don't know if that's just wanting to be cuddled, or low tone, or sheer laziness. I'm sure she'll move onto tormenting me about new things soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB's adventures make me smile and I agree that it definitely sounds like some attention-seeking going on. Just think what the rest of your life will bring as she gets older and even more savvy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will reap what I hath sown, and I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete