Sunday, July 21, 2013

2nd Generation Equally Shared Parenting

I know there's a book called Equally Shared Parenting, but I haven't read it.  That's partly because parenting books are one of the few that I just can't get into, and partly because it's just what we do and it feels natural.  Maybe for one subset of gay parents, of which we are a part, splitting parenting duties comes pretty easily, but I know plenty of gay couples who don't have an even split whether because of logistics or philosophy.

When my parents decided in the 1970s that they wanted to have a child, and they both wanted to be involved in the day-to-day parenting of that child, they felt like pioneers.  In retrospect, their work/life balance must have been rough.  My dad worked nights and weekends and my mom worked a traditional 5/week job.  But, from my perspective as a kid, they managed it really well.  I heard them complain about coworkers sometimes, but never about work--the kind that you do for money or the kind that you do for family.

While I was home I found this calender from when I was around LB's age that they marked to help me keep track of who I'd be spending time with on each day, S was the lady who lived across the street from us.




**By my rough estimate, I've written about 10,000 words this week, some more coherent than others, and honestly I feel completely fried.  I just had to tell that to the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment