Monday, September 29, 2014

That Time I Unfollowed My Wife on Facebook


Like Jr. High-aged couples everywhere, social media has been a point of contention between me and B since she told me she no longer wants to be married.  The low point came when I was on vacation with B and child.  B's soulmate commented on a thread in which B had checked in with me at a bar and posted a picture of me (although in B's defense, I think the beer was supposed to be the main point-not me).

I reflected on the time I punched a girl in the face on a street in Boston because she slept with my boyfriend (in the Biblical sense).  And then I didn't know what to do, so I punched her again and called her various names (don't worry I also made sure he got his).  Now, some number of decades later, I did not take a redeye back to Providence to punch someone in the face.  I did not curse someone out on virtual Main Street.  I didn't even make any acerbic comments.  I just backed away and felt embarrassed and angry.  I assured myself that the Other Woman was likely not a scary stalker who would break into our house and cut up all our sheets while we were away, but just another insecure and jealous soul like the rest of us-albeit one with less self-control. And I drew this diagram and gave it to B to give to her.

I am bitter.  I'll own that, but I'll keep it here in my space.  My street fighting days are over.

3 comments:

  1. You may be bitter, but you make one hell of a flow chart! If that's a comfort. Which it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that flowchart. Channel the bitterness into brilliance. An excellent strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, 1) this is brilliant, 2) am I the only one wondering if B actually gave it to her?!?!?! and 3) it is crappy you even had to resort to THIS :(

    ReplyDelete